How long to keep in swamp cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtsitler

Reaction score
Cider has been in primary since Sunday (5 days)
Been in swamp cooler to keep temps at 62-64*.

9 quarts 100% Apple Juice
2 cups sugar
5 grams Montrachet yeast (rehydrated)

Still bubbling in airlock, no real krausen is evident....
How much longer should I keep it in the swamp cooler?
Should I stop adding ice to the water and let the temp rise?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'd keep it in there until you're sure it's done fermenting (you're not gonna get krausen like you get with beer, typically)....buy more carboys/ingredients and brew some more batches of whatever to keep yourself occupied :)

So just keep adding ice for 14 days? I figure it should be done then, I'll take a SG reading then to see where it's at.
I was under the impression you only needed to keep a lower temp during the first stage of fermentation.

I really want this to turn out well....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wine yeast can be fermented much higher than ale yeast, probably don't even need the swamp cooler. I've fermented batches of apfelwein at 75 degrees

Wine yeast can be fermented much higher than ale yeast, probably don't even need the swamp cooler. I've fermented batches of apfelwein at 75 degrees

So stop adding ice and let it ride out? I think the ambient temp in that area of the house is about 75*
Maybe I'll just let it go for a day or two in the water bath without adding any ice... I get kind of sketchy when temps on the carboy thermometer read over 70*

I guess I was unaware that wine yeast could handle higher temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah I would let it ride at this point. Wine yeast can definitely be fermented at higher temps

The temp has steadily risen over the last few days and is at 70*F now.( on LC thermometer on side of carboy)
Should I maybe start putting ice bottles back in to bring the temps back down?
It's been in primary for 8 days now....

Ok cool, I'm just worried it's going to get nasty off flavors from fermenting too warm.

With ale and lager yeast yes, but wine yeast is ok. If it makes you feel better x go ahead and lower the temp a but it's not necessary

Back