How long to keep fruit strainer in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pele59

Reaction score
Greetings,

Like must people that post here with question marks, I am relatively new to the world of home wine making. I usually make kits but this time I've ventured out into making fresh strawberry wine.

Yesterday, was day one. I've followed the directions to a tee but it doesn't say how long to keep the nylon strainer in the fermenator. Right now I've basically got the fruit, pectic, acid blend, campden tablets, and some tannin stewing with sugar and water. Do I take the strainer out before adding yeast?

Also, how long should I let this "stew" before adding yeast?

I appreciate the time reading this and any help will be good.

Thanks.

I mix up my must, and then pitch the yeast within 24 hours. If you haven't pitched the yeast yet, you'd better get to it! You want to add the yeast 12-24 hours after adding the Campden. One of the tricks is that you don't add pectic enzyme and campden at the same time. So, you mix up the must (all except the pectic enzyme and yeast) and wait 12 hours. Then add the pectic enzyme. Twelve hours later, you add the yeast. You don't have to be exact- but it's done this way because the pectic enzyme doesn't work well with campden. The yeast can- but it's better to let the campden kill off the unwanted microbes and then add the yeast.

Once it starts fermenting, stir the "cap" down daily. When the SG hits about 1.020-1.010 (about 3-5 days), you can rack to secondary and leave the fruit behind. I like to use a sanitized strainer and lift up the bag of fruit and let it drain so I get out all of the juice. Most fruits shouldn't be squeezed dry at this time. It can cause permanent hazing in the wine. If the directions say to squeeze, by all means do it! But if not, don't squeeze, just drain.

Back