How long to keep an old partial-mash kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

So I ordered a partial-mash saison kit back in January, got distracted, and somehow never got around it brewing with it. I'm now wondering which parts to throw away vs. use in the fall (can't brew until then thanks to temperatures around here).

- 9 lbs of Pils malt extract (kept sealed in the fridge)
- 6.5 lb grain bill (milled, unfortunately, but kept sealed in a closet)
- Magnum & Sterling hops (kept in the freezer, so I'm assuming they're still good?)
- White Labs liquid yeast (kept in the fridge, but the use-by date was April)

(Assuming whirfloc & priming sugar are good indefinitely)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would make a starter for the yeast, to make sure it is still alive, and maybe step it up a couple of times. If the grain was sealed, use it. I wouldn't throw anything away, but I wouldn't have the highest hopes for a perfect beer- and be happily suprised by the results.

You kept the supplies well and I see no reason it should be thrown. Brew it but check the yeast out and if in doubt then just get more yeast when you brew.

Should be good if it sat in the shop it probably wouldn't have been looked after so good.

make a starter for your yeast smak da pak and if it expands and tastes alright in your starter its GOOD

The only problem with a post-date yeast in the possibility that there may not be as many active beasties in there. If you make a decent starter it shouldn't matter. They will be fruitful and multiply.

If you were storing it in an open container and in a place where the temperature and moisture varied a lot then you might not get good results.

Once it is crushed it starts degrading faster because it is opened to the air and oxyidation. If you double bag it in freezer bags or in a sealed glass or stainless container you would at least be giving it the best chance to stay fresh for a longer period of time. That is why most all grain brewers crush their own grain because they usually are storing some of their whole grains for up to a year before use and it keeps much better as a whole grain.

Brew that bad boy! :mug:

I had a AG kit from last November that I brewed in April with no ill affects. I kept the hops and yeast in the fridge and the grains in my cool basement. It came out great.

Go for it! :ban:

I'd be suspicious of the crushed grain. It tends to go stale after a month at room temperatures. You should have kept it in the fridge & the extract in the closet.

Chew some of the grain. If it is stale or rancid, it will be obvious.

Back