how long to ferment for cider with safale s04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatdoyameanman

Reaction score
I making a five gal batch of cider with safale s04 with a starting gravity of 1.060 so around 8% abv. It Will have been going two weeks in primary tommorrow. It's my first time using safale s04 so I'm unsure of the best fermentation time frames. I want it to taste sweet and not dry or like white wine when finished.

1) I want to know how much longer I should primary ferment for? (the cider has calmed down a lot from what it was but is still going kinda steady with tons of lees on the bottom already)

2) and how long should I secondary ferment for?

Thanks for all the help guys,
Kevin

did you taste it or check the gravity? my money's on it being at or below 1.000 already, and therefore very dry. if you want it sweet you need to either stop fermentation while it's still sweet, which you have to determine yourself by taste and/or hydrometer, or stabilize and back-sweeten. nobody can predict how quickly your fermentation will go based only on a strain of yeast and og, but 1 week is a middle of the road guess. temperature plays a big role.

Back