How long to dryhop in Keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wjjohnson

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a SMaSH IPA in the keg and I am dryhopping it now. I have 2 oz of amarillo in a mesh bag in the keg. My question is how long can I dryhop. I hear 2 weeks is good. Can you force carb and dryhop at the sametime? If so then what do you do when you want to take the hop bag out? Just let the pressure off and pull it out or can leave the bag in and until all the beer has been drank? Will the beer just get more hoppy the longer the hop bag is in the keg? Thanks for the help!

jldc

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know the answers to these questions, plus one more:
When is the best time to dry hop in a keg?

I usually primary for 3 weeks, then keg and "secondary" in the keg for 2-3 weeks, then chill, carb over a week and drink. When during this period is the best time to dry hop? Immediately after kegging, a week before I chill and carb, or when I put the beer in the keezer?

rtp-brew

Reaction score
You can dry hop at pretty much any point. The colder the beer is the longer it takes for the flavor to develop though. Just taste the beer every couple of days until it stops getting "better".

The Pliney recipe in this month's Zymurgy had some good notes from Vinnie Cilurzo on how they do it. Also check out the BrewStrong episode on Dry Hopping

I just dry hopped an English Pale ale post carbonation and it worked just fine. Be sure to release the pressure on the keg before opening the lid. The beer won't instantly go flat or foam up or anything.

Depending on how long it takes you to go through the keg you could just leave the hop bag in it. I wouldn't leave it in for months, but a couple of weeks is probably ok if the keg is refrigerated the whole time.

Hope that helps.

david_42

Reaction score
I dry hop for a week before carbonating, then pull the bag. If that doesn't do it, I'll put in a fresh bag of hops for another week.