How long to dry hop with fresh hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukedog

Reaction score
I've searched through many different threads and have been unable to find an answer to this...

I acquired a pound of centennial hops that were shipped in from the PAC-NW and used about 8oz of them to dry-hop a Two-Hearted Ale clone I was making.. the leftover hops that I didn't use ended up going bad after a few days... is the same thing happening in my beer or does the alcohol prevent that from occuring?

The hops have been in the bucket for about 10 days now and I'm just wondering when I should take them out.

Thanks for any help.

Yeh I've done that in the past but the link doesn't really answer my question.. I'm wondering if fresh hops have the ability to spoil when they are being dry-hopped and if so.. how long? The leftover hops that I didn't put in the bucket went bad pretty quickly.

how did the leftover hops go bad in only a few days? were they not put in a fridge/freezer?

Yeh I left them out at room temperature out of laziness, plus I had no immediate need for only 3-4oz of whole hops.

well they woulda lasted in the fridge/freezer for months. I wouldn't worry about the ones you used, they'll be fine.

Yeh next time I'll keep that in mind, I just didn't give it any thought at the time. Thanks for the quick replys.

Yo Dukedog! For how long did you end up dry hopping your beer with those wet hops, and how did the beer turn out?

Back