How long to clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warix

Reaction score
I transferred to my secondary (glass carboy) last Saturday and I really do not think it has cleared all that much in the week that it sat there. When I first transferred it the fermentation kicked off again and I had to install a blow off tube. I am starting to wonder if it will clear any more than it has. Am I worrying over nothing or is there something I should do?

Thanks

If you have the equipment, cold crash it for a few days. You could also add gelatin, then cold crash it for better results. My beers usually start clearing with about two weeks in the keg.

Just leave it alone and forget about it for a while, I always get super clear beers and never cold crash or use finings.

You say fermentation started again after racking? Was it done fermenting? Did you transfer the yeast cake too?

Just leave it alone and forget about it for a while, I always get super clear beers and never cold crash or use finings.

You say fermentation started again after racking? Was it done fermenting? Did you transfer the yeast cake too?

Let's just say I had a little trouble with my auto siphon and the yeast cake got a little stirred up. Not to the point where the hole thing got transferred but more than I had hoped for. The bubbling only lasted a couple of days and it has been quite since. It has been sitting between 61 and 65 degrees since it has been transferred. I did plan to put it in the fridge for a re days before bottling to cold crash it.

Cold crashing will work, I just don't have space for it. It will clear on it's own but that takes some time (3 weeks or so)

What yeast are you using? Some clear faster than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks hopinista, I just get worked up over nothing and I just want this batch to turn out great as it is the first batch I have brewed with my son.

I used WL #1007, which is the first time I have ever used liquid yeast.

If I remember correctly that yeast is very slow to flocculate. Give it time, your best brewing friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back