How long to carbonate? 5 days and no bubblies....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeanean

Reaction score
Yes, I'm posting again with yet another n00b question. I backsweetened my cider with a little table sugar and frozen apple juice concentrate (no additives, other than vit. C). I've got some that I want to keep pretty dry, so I didn't add a lot of sugar, and some that I wanted to be pretty sweet that have more sugar. It's been 5 days, and I checked my plastic sample bottles and there's no fizz. I thought maybe the sample bottles were leaking the carbonation, so I cracked open one of the glass bottles to check. Nothing. Info/questions:

How long does it usually take to carbonate?

Should I put a single drop of activated yeast (yeast mixed with warm water) into each bottle to aid the process?

When should I be scared of bottle bombs?

Temps are around 65 to 75 in the room, cider was extremely clear and extremely dry when I bottled (before sweetening).

No additives in my cider or sugar source, only vitamin C.

Thanks!

It normally takes 2-3 weeks for beer/cider to fully carbonate.

As far as adding new yeast goes, first a question: how long has the cider been fermenting before you primed your bottles?

Cider fermented in primary for about 2 weeks, and secondary for 2 weeks, for a total of 4. There is little if any activity in the airlock (I still have some in the carboy, since I didn't have time to bottle it all). Maybe one bubble every 10 minutes, if that. If it takes 2-3 weeks, how often should I check for bottle bombs? Once a week? I only made three sample bottles, thinking I wouldn't need very long for carbonation.

It's the temps, trust me, it needs to be kept at at least 74* depending on yeast used at a steady temp, fluctuation will just keep it from doing its thing. Try keeping an eye on it and put it some place stable, should work.

Also once it achieves it's "firmness" usually 2-3 days and sample bottle gets rock hard, place in fridge.

So if I put it in a warmer place (74F) how long should it take? Should I add a drop of yeast or just leave it for now?

Just leave it, it should take 2-3 days if you keep the temp in that range. I did the same thing by leaving my bottles outside in a box and was not getting any results. I moved them inside and in 2 days wham! Stuff was firm, I left it one more day and place them in the fridge.

I'm having the same issue but my temperature isn't the problem. I'm using glass bottles and they've been sitting for about seven days covered and in the correct temperature. I cracked one open and there was a tiny tiny bit of fuzz but that was it .... Any ideas ??

I had a similar experience with my first batch. I believe my caps were not on tight enough. S8me had mild, very very mild, fizz, most stayed flat. Untill i got to my last 5 bottles of a 15 bottle batch. The caps were much tighter and they were all very over carbonated. I opened one that I still cant believe did not explode in my hand . The cap flew across the room and I could feel a thumping in the hand holding it.

Never had a problem since. The soda bottle trick is awesome. I use 12oz soda bottles to keep it closer to the 12oz beer bottles I use for the cider. Using a 20oz soda bottle didnt work for me on the first batch....

Back