How Long to Allow for Carbonation Before Chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
Hi-
Once my brew has a steady FG, I bottle and add the priming sugar for carbonation. I leave the beer at 68-70deg at this time. About how long should I wait for an ale to carbonate before moving the brew to my cold frig at around 42deg? I don't want to short circuit the carbonating step but do like to get on with cold aging!

Thanks

You can't control how long a beer needs to carb and condition.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

In three weeks if you've stored the beer above 70, take two, 1 from each case and chill them for a day or 2 and taste them...if they are carbed and conditioned then you're good. If they're not carbed, or taste funky still, check a couple more in a week or two.

I agree with Revy 100% on this, but I also have sampled a bottle at the two week point just to see how it's coming along.

NRS

I never get past 2 weeks to try one. Just popped my Belgian Dubbel at 2 weeks. Still pretty flat and green, but I can tell it is going to be great when ready - probably 2 weeks from now.

I'll also agree with Revvy that your beer needs that 3 weeks. Sometimes a person just can't wait though. I just popped open a red ale that had been in the bottle for 6 ......days and while it wasn't fully carbonated, it did have some. It only had 4 hours in the refrigerator too. Too bad it was still a bit immature.:(

Try one after a week - it'll be fizzy and harsh - the undissolved carbonic acid kinda jumps up and bites you on the tongue. Then you won't be tempted to rush it anymore.

My first batch I tried one every week. Now I will wait at least 3 weeks before trying the first one. Experiment some. Try them out at different times. Nothing lost and everything to gain from it.

Well,the thing to remember here is that you're not just waiting for them to carbonate. They also need time to condition,which always takes a bit longer ime. my APA/IPA's might fully carbonate in 110-11 days flat,but took a total of 5 weeks to condition (mature). S0o keep that in mind as well.

Try one after a week - it'll be fizzy and harsh - the undissolved carbonic acid kinda jumps up and bites you on the tongue. Then you won't be tempted to rush it anymore.

Some of us just can't wait. I've been brewing for 3 years and I still had to pop one open just to see how bad it was. :rockin:

Back