How long to age this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted an opinion on a brew I did that contained the following:

6lbs Munich LME
1lb Crystal 60L
.5 Carapils

1.5oz Challenger @30m
1oz Yakima Golding @ 10m

Notty yeast

Yeah, so it doesn't quite fit into any traditional category I think. Call it an experiment if you will. Anyhow, after primary fermentation, I'm just wondering how long would be sufficient to age this. Normally I just forget about things for a while and come back to them, but unfortunately I'm a bit impatient to give this one a try.

I do have secondaries available, and I also keg so I can crash cool and skip the bottle aging time. Any other info can be provided if asked for.

What is the batch size? The amount of ABV plays a big part of aging time. If what you are making is a 5 gallon batch it looks like your ABV will be around 4%. If it is 2.5 gallon batch it would end up much closer to 8%. These calculations are based on a 75% efficiency rate so they could be higher or lower.

Lower alcohol beers don't need to be aged for very long but the longer the better to a point. If it is a 5 gallon batch then I would say you could drink it in 2-4 weeks depending on whether you force carbonate or bottle. 1 week in the primary and one in the secondary then force carbonate you could be drinking it in 16 days. I know a guy who does this with 4-5% ABV Pale Ales with excellent results. Tack on two more weeks for bottle conditioning.

If it is a 2.5 gallon batch the aging time will almost quadruple. Then one week in the primary and 3-4 in the secondary. Now your looking at 4-5 weeks from the time it is brewed if force carbonating. 6-7 weeks if you are bottling.

When bottling it is always better to age you beer in one big batch then to do it in several smaller ones. You'll get more consistency from bottle to bottle this way.

Yeah, 5 gallons, and I'll be force carbing it. Brewsmith estimates it will be roughly 4.4% abv. Thanks for the input! I've got 2 other beers on tap but I just can't wait to see how this one comes out.

That will be pretty hoppy but with no hop bitterness. Why no 60min addition. That low of abv with no bittering addition will make this very hoppy and will over power all malt taste.

Per beersmith the IBUs come out to 24.4, not terribly hoppy at all. The Challenger came in at 6.5% and the Goldings at 4.5%, so they were a bit on the low end. I skipped the bittering hops since one of the beers I made in the past omitted them and it ended up being a very enjoyable beer. I wanted to recreate that profile in something sliiightly different. (That beer used fuggles and willamette in similar AA amounts).

Back