How long to age pedio/brett

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

toddo97

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a peach ale, but I would like to split it in half: half as an ale to secondary on top of peaches and the other do the same, but add some pedio and brett and let it it sit for a while. Would 6 months be a reasonable amount of time to let it sit and get good and sour?

radwizard

Reaction score
6 Months would be a good time to sample it. Pedio can get a little snotty in the process, but clear up later in the process if using Brett. I would wait to add the fruit until you have sampled the soured portion and are happy with it (6-12 months I would assume).

Pedio can work pretty slow sometimes, but this isn't always the case...

OP
toddo97

toddo97

Reaction score
Oh good to know--I was thinking of throwing it all in together. So if it's sour enought at 6 months, how long should I wait once I add the peaches?

radwizard

Reaction score
If you are happy with it (it's sour enough, flavors are good), then go ahead and add the peaches. Allow the peaches 2 months to referment.

Just remember when you taste at 6 months, give it an honest assessment. Extra time can make it better. That being said, when it's ready it's ready. Most of this stuff ages closer to a year (maybe 9 months) but I have seen people doing really good stuff in 6 months....

Good Luck!

OP
toddo97

toddo97

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. This is my first time souring with something other than straight lacto so the patience thing will be hard :)