Quantcast

How long to age an Oktoberfest?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew an Oktoberfest for a community event in, well, October.

When's the ideal time to start so that it's at its peak by then? What's a good ballpark minimum/maximum aging time for enjoying this style at its finest? (I'll probably be aging in bottles, although I'm considering just bringing a keg to the party).

Thanks,
chris.

P.S. Any favorite recipes for this style? Right now I mostly extract/steep but I'm looking to start AG when the weather warms up and I can move outdoors for full boils.

FlyingHorse

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Kaiser

Reaction score
Though the traditional Oktoberfest beer has been brewed in March only few breweries still do that. It just costs to much to have a beer take up lagering capacity. Very long lagering can also have its own problems with respect to yeast health.

I'd suggest you get a good Maerzen or Oktoberfest recipe and brew it between March and June. This will give it enough time to age for October. I would go with a minimum aging time of about 2 months.

Kai

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
My second batch ever, an Oktoberfest style ale, extract with steeping grains, was one of the best batches I've made to this day. I bought a sixer of some real German stuff and had SWMBO do a blind taste test. She said that mine tasted almost identical to the commercial stuff, only fresher.

EdWort's version looks like a good one. I think I'll have to try that later this year.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
I start my Oktoberfest in mid- August so I can lager for the entire month of September, turns out pretty well.

As for the traditional brewing schedule starting in March, this was largely due to pre-refrigeration contraints rather than the beer needing to lager for so many months.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first true Oktoberfest lager last March and tapped it the 1st week of November this fall. I was my best beer ever! It fermented at 55 for 6 weeks and then sat in the keg in the basement at ~65 for the whole summer and then went into the fridge for 1 month prior to tapping.

I'm almost 2 weeks into a rebrew of this recipe and I plan to tap it at the end of Feb. Then I'll make any recipe adjustments and brew up 15 gal for this years party.