How long to age a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike C

Reaction score
Just curious since I thought a porter I recently made could not possibly be ready by now. Here's the schedule:

Brewed Dec 16, primed, bottled 12 22oz bottles and kegged the rest (~3 gallons) Dec 30.

Sampled the keg tonight and WOW! Full on kick-butt awesome porter! It has only aged about a week and a half, but I was curious so I tasted it--I tell you what, it's not only good, it's so good that I had to pull a second pint just to be sure! (As I'm typing this, I may need to pull just one more to be extra sure ;) )

So how long do you guys usually age a porter before consumption? This seems way too young to be this good.

Cheers~

Two to six weeks but it is dependant how long it's been sat in the fermenter.
Some times if it's been in the fermenter 4 weeks I can drink within 3 days or if I prime then it'll be two weeks plus.

Comercial beers are sometimes only a week old if that.

Resurrecting this old thread real quick.

My Sinebrychoff Porter clone arrived today and I may be starting it this weekend. Was curious how long I should leave it in the primary. Was planning on going with 4 weeks + 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. That sound about right?

Resurrecting this old thread real quick.

My Sinebrychoff Porter clone arrived today and I may be starting it this weekend. Was curious how long I should leave it in the primary. Was planning on going with 4 weeks + 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. That sound about right?

sweet choice... ya 3-4 weeks in primary will do well... i like to leave my porters any where from 4-5 weeks and my stouts usually quite a bit longer or shorter with a lil dryhopping at the end 3-7 weeks

The coffee porter I made over the summer took forever. It was in the secondary for 5 weeks, and once I bottled it it wasn't fully ready for 3 months. 6 months in and it's one of the best beers I've tried to date. Along with the coffee, I added Jack Daniel's and vanilla beans.

Can't you let old threads die.

Started in 2008.

Resurrected in 2010.

........ And again at the end of 2011.

Hi vtskibeer:

I need your advice. I just home brewed a robust porter. Unfortunately for me, I raised too much the temperature during fermentation (four days) after that I diminished the temp. After this four days, I tasted the beer and had a strong off flavors. I waited two more weeks and tasted it again and it seemed to me that the off flavors were decreasing. Today the beer has been in the fermenter for 17 days after fermentation stopped. Shoud I leave the beer two more weeks in the fermenter and after that time to start bottling?

Thanks!

Once fermentation has stopped (and you confirmed that with your hydrometer) bottle her up then leave it a month before you try one. If its not to your liking wait at least another month before trying another one. Don't dump it before waiting a year unless it just keeps getting worse. RDWHAHB in the meantime.

Back