How long should I wait for bottle carb to start(or end)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hardex

Salarguy
Joined
Feb 22, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
God's Country
I openen one 355ml. bottle after two weeks and nary a bubble! Do you think I could have killed ALL the yeast? I did an application of chitosan to clear but no yeast killer that I know of. I very new to cider as still wine is my regualar retired pastime. I just hope I haven't killed my first attempt. I had some obvious carbonation in the secondary carboy when I transfered to the bottle bucket, but it didn't seem to continue. I'm a born newbie for sure!
 

FloppyKnockers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
2,154
Reaction score
2,001
Location
Fort Worth
A couple starter questions, I guess... Did you add priming sugar? How Much? What temp are they being stored at?

It's kinda hard to kill yeast if that was not your intent.

For me, it's 2 - 3 weeks to carb in a bottle.
 
OP
OP
hardex

hardex

Salarguy
Joined
Feb 22, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
God's Country
170 grams of dextrose to 4 imperial gallons. Too little? It's sitting at 60F. I pre-sweeten with staight spenda in the same process (very little).
 

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2017
Messages
640
Reaction score
327
Location
Snowy Mountains, Australia
Yep, all of he above. To give you a guide to time, I have three yeast trials in progress each with the same juice blend (pink lady + granny smith). Two have pressure gauge bottles to monitor carbonation and one has a soda bottle squeeze test. All three were primed and bottled to 1.012 so there is plenty of sugar. Today, after eight days one has developed 1.2 vols of CO2, another has 1.4 vols, and the "squeeze test" one is firming up, yet nowhere near hard. So, another 1 or 2 weeks are needed before they are carbonated enough to pasteurise around 1.008 to stop fermentation (i.e. 2 volumes of CO2 should result from a drop in 4 gravity points)

I had a batch last year using the same process which simply didn't carbonate. So, I decanted, added a starter, re-bottled and off they went. I still have no idea what the problem was, but the fix worked.
 
Last edited:
Top