How long should I wait before drinking a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
I did a Brewer's Best Stout kit and its been in bottles for almost a month. Although it tastes good, it has a hint of that young beer bitterness to it. On average, how long should a Stout stay in the bottles before it is at its prime?

It depends on a couple factors, not the least of which being the OG and how much roasted malt was in the recipe. For an average stout I'd say you'll want probably 1-3 months before it gets to it's prime.

Best thing to do is what you have been doing, sample one every once in a while and just keep track of how long it took before you felt it was ready.

+1 on Bradsul's advice. My recent stout tasted pretty good at 3 weeks, but it keeps getting better and better.

The longer you wait, usually the better it is. All beers have a peak, but generally if you wait longer it will be better.

Judd said:
The longer you wait, usually the better it is. All beers have a peak, but generally if you wait longer it will be better.

she says, but we've hardly been able to keep our hands off of the two batches that we bottled last week.

edit: they're delicious already.

Kai said:
she says, but we've hardly been able to keep our hands off of the two batches that we bottled last week.

edit: they're delicious already.

Still, they will get better the longer we leave them.

recently brewed a stout and it was good after 3 weeks... so i drank them !

if you think it's not ready then wait, you know your HB better than anyone.

Back