How long should I leave in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky2284

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Amber/Red ale and wondering how long should I leave in primary. I've brewed a few batches and left it until fermentation was complete in the primary and kegged it, but I have read other places that if should leave it in my primary longer. I don't have a secondary.

Any advice? Also how long should I condition in keg?

I rarely secondary ales. I would say leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then keg it unless you really need it sooner. The yeast keep on working even after primary is finished. Having said that 2 weeks in the primary and further conditioning in the keg works as well. If you need that primary available for another brew then once FG is reached there is nothing wrong with racking it over to the keg.

Patience is a well rewarded virtue in brewing :). One day I will learn to have some!

I rarely secondary ales. I would say leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then keg it unless you really need it sooner. The yeast keep on working even after primary is finished. Having said that 2 weeks in the primary and further conditioning in the keg works as well. If you need that primary available for another brew then once FG is reached there is nothing wrong with racking it over to the keg.

Patience is a well rewarded virtue in brewing :). One day I will learn to have some!

Thanks, I usually rack it to my keg so I can brew again. Also should I just purge the keg and let it sit room temperature or force carb it? Or condition in kegerator?

Thanks, I usually rack it to my keg so I can brew again. Also should I just purge the keg and let it sit room temperature or force carb it? Or condition in kegerator?

Purge it and keep it at room temperature. Yeast seem to play a role in making your beer mature and they work best at a warmer temp. Your brew will mature while it is being kept cold too but it will take much longer.

Bucket fermenters are pretty inexpensive. I'd buy another so you don't have to move your beer to make another. Oh wait, I already did. I have 6 now.:ban::D

Purge it and keep it at room temperature. Yeast seem to play a role in making your beer mature and they work best at a warmer temp. Your brew will mature while it is being kept cold too but it will take much longer.

Bucket fermenters are pretty inexpensive. I'd buy another so you don't have to move your beer to make another. Oh wait, I already did. I have 6 now.:ban::D

Thanks, I'm actually going tomorrow to buy some more buckets so I can brew a new batch. How long do u suggest to leave it to mature?

When I do a red and bottle it I can expect the beer to be pretty good in 3 weeks, better in 4, and better yet in 6 but I have a lot of other beers to drink so I don't feel the need to rush like I would if I had it in a keg. Give it a try in a week. Try to not drink all of it too quickly as it will get better.

When I do a red and bottle it I can expect the beer to be pretty good in 3 weeks, better in 4, and better yet in 6 but I have a lot of other beers to drink so I don't feel the need to rush like I would if I had it in a keg. Give it a try in a week. Try to not drink all of it too quickly as it will get better.

Thanks again

Back