how long shall I keep the fermenter in the water bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have 2 fermenters, but only one bucket to use as a water bath.

I'd like to brew more frequently and since I only have one water bath bucket...I gotta wait for the 3 weeks to pass before I can brew again.

Is it okay to keep the fermenter at 60 F for a week and then just take it out and leave at room temperature (which is about 73-74 here now) and wait for the rest of the fermentation at room temperature?

NOTE: I live in Spain...summers are kinda hot...I guess my closet will get as warm as 80-81 F. This is the main reason why I am asking this question. The yeast I am using is SAFALE S0-4. I have read that it produces a lot of ester if the batch is kept warm.

Once the krausen forms, you're pretty much done reproducing. I'd say the first 3-5 days it most crucial. After that it's not a big deal if the beer warms up some.

I researched this recently and found information stating that you really only need to control temperatures to prevent off flavors for the first week or so of fermentation, after that it can be brought up to room temperature without the risk of producing off flavors in your beer as that stage of the fermentation has passed. I have even read some people say that they prefer raising the temp after the first week as it helps the yeast finish off the harder to ferment sugars in the beer.

I researched this recently and found information stating that you really only need to control temperatures to prevent off flavors for the first week or so of fermentation, after that it can be brought up to room temperature without the risk of producing off flavors in your beer as that stage of the fermentation has passed. I have even read some people say that they prefer raising the temp after the first week as it helps the yeast finish off the harder to ferment sugars in the beer.

Can you give me a link on the info you found on this one...or tell me to what temperature I can raise the temperature? I live in Spain...summers are kinda hot...I guess my closet will get as warm as 80-81 F.

hold the beer in the yeast's recommended range until fermentation starts to slow down. as soon as you see the first signs of churn being less violent, bubbles being less frequent, etc then you are safe to start raising the temps. in fact it will help with attenuation as the extra heat gives the yeast a boost and keeps them going.

I wouldn't go nuts, just allow it to raise to a decent room temp after the bulk of ferm has finished.

The timing is really based on gravity. Ideally the initial lag phase is where reproduction is occurring and that's when temp control is particularly crucial, and shortly thereafter. Many lager recipes, for instance, recommend raising the temp to diacetyl rest temps after a percentage of the gravity has been lowered, often 75% or so. I would consider trying to still keep it in the 70's if possible thereafter.

I have 2 fermenters, but only one bucket to use as a water bath.

I'd like to brew more frequently and since I only have one water bath bucket...I gotta wait for the 3 weeks to pass before I can brew again.

Is it okay to keep the fermenter at 60 F for a week and then just take it out and leave at room temperature (which is about 73-74 here now) and wait for the rest of the fermentation at room temperature?

NOTE: I live in Spain...summers are kinda hot...I guess my closet will get as warm as 80-81 F. This is the main reason why I am asking this question. The yeast I am using is SAFALE S0-4. I have read that it produces a lot of ester if the batch is kept warm.

I use the water bath and brew double batches (2 5.5 gallon batches at a time). I use a plastic storage container that will hold two carboys side-by-side and then the container with water up to about the level of the beer. The ones I use are cheap.

2013-03-16 06.59.12.jpg

I use the water bath and brew double batches (2 5.5 gallon batches at a time). I use a plastic storage container that will hold two carboys side-by-side and then the container with water up to about the level of the beer. The ones I use are cheap.

View attachment 126135

I guess you are doing this in the USA, right? Spain is a pain in the ass for homebrewers.....it's a shame, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

80 is pretty hot for most yeasts, except maybe belgians. Buckets are cheaper than bad batches. Frozen water bottles in a bucket can be a brewer's best friend, and are relatively cheap if labor intensive.

80 is pretty hot for most yeasts, except maybe belgians. Buckets are cheaper than bad batches. Frozen water bottles in a bucket can be a brewer's best friend, and are relatively cheap if labor intensive.

I think 80 is a bit of an exaggeration. I guess it wont go above 73.5 for now. I dont know if it gets warmer in mid-summer though.

You can get those rubbermaid tubs dirt cheap if you look around. Also, sinks, bathtubs, etc. work, too.

Back