How long on stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotebrew

Reaction score
Got some czech lager yeast, got about cup of dme and 6 cups of water, its been on my stir plate for about 13 hours, now it seems to throw the stir bar. Is it long enough, can i cold crash or should i swirl it every once in a while for a few more hours?

Treat it like a beer. When the yeast start to drop out, you'll know it's done. Might take a few extra days this way I guess but beer takes patience. I check the gravity... but be extremely cautious with sanitation
Edit. This second method probably wouldn't work with a hydrometer due to volume . You'd probably need a refractometer

Slow down the speed of your stirplate so it doesn't throw the bar. You don't need a big vortex, just a little dimple on the surface.

24 hours is about as long as I'd go on the plate.

Slowed the stir plate added more water and put some danish lager yeast(saved from a previous batch) and it came back to life. I was thinking it had too much dme in it. Hence the water, then i figured it didnt have any yeast nutrient in it, so i gave it a little danish yeast. Seemed to do the trick.

Latest posts

Back