How long it too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
My brother and I made a cream ale extract kit 6 weeks ago today. It only calls for 4 weeks of fermentation. Is 6 weeks in the primary too long? We got distracted with life and let it go a lot longer than planned. Thoughts?

It smells like apple juice. I'm assuming that is a bad thing.

How does it taste?

4 or 6 weeks is no issue providing you have decent sanitation and don't keep opening it. Mine usually go 6 weeks minimum; I am in no rush, and extra time helps clear it with less sediment in the bottles.

It didn't taste like apples so I bottled it. Tasted kind of light which was what I expected. We will see what it tastes like in a week or 2.

I had brown ale sit in the primary for FOUR MONTHS as I was away on training and couldn't get back to bottle it. I just knew it was ruined but decided to bottle it anyway. Added some yeast at bottling time and it tasted great. Bottom line is to always try and finish it and see how it turns out. You just never know.

Latest posts

Back