Quantcast

How long is too long?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Majikcook

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Location
Greenville, SC
Hey all,
How long is too long for a batch to sit in the primary? I want to brew this weekend but will not be able to move to secondary for about 10 days. Still ok?
 

Tony

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
916
Reaction score
4
Location
Saugus, MA
How long is too long in the primary though? Im very curious about this.
 

Janx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
24
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
There is no "too long". Your beer will always be good, even if you don't do a secondary. Heck, maybe fermenting in a primary only will give your beer the extra zing that makes it special. There are no rules.

Par example, we've been making a bunch of beer lately and I need some more kegs, so all the primaries, kegs and secondaries were full. So a couple of batches had to stay in the primary at least 3 weeks. The Pale Ale done this way was just awesome. Maybe one of the best. It had a very British character...maybe some esters and whatnot from long yeast contact, but in Belgium they call "off flavors" a style ;)

In my opinion, best practices for the cleanest tasting beer is to rack to secondary within one week. But, this is definitely not something that can make or break your beer. By all means, brew this weekend! Brew every weekend! :D Racking in 10 days is no biggie.

Cheers! :D
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,193
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
I've only made 1 batch that I did not use a secondary and I am TOTALLY UNSATISFIED with the clarity. It is a nice golden yellow though that looks pretty.

It tastes a bit more bitter than I expected. Still very drinkable, but not to my tastes. My son-in-law loves it.

Not a loss, but I would definitely use a secondary ALWAYS!

I left a Hefe Weizen in the primary (plastic) for like 32 days once (I had a heart attack and couldn't do any heavy lifting, etc., for a while). I thought I ruined it, but it won Best of Show and Best of Style over 100 entries.
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
Janx said:
...maybe some esters and whatnot from long yeast contact, but in Belgium they call "off flavors" a style ;)
Belgian Beer Drinker: Wow....it's not bad, but it's got this weird sorta...I don't know.....'off' flavor to it....you must have screwed up the recipe...

Belgian Brewer: Um...yeah...no, that's um SUPPOSED to be like that...yeah....REAL old technique.....I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it....

LOL!!!
 

rightwingnut

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
463
Reaction score
4
Location
New Jersey
NUCC98 said:
Belgian Beer Drinker: Wow....it's not bad, but it's got this weird sorta...I don't know.....'off' flavor to it....you must have screwed up the recipe...

Belgian Brewer: Um...yeah...no, that's um SUPPOSED to be like that...yeah....REAL old technique.....I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it....

LOL!!!

.....LOL!!
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
How about in the secondary?

With luck, I'm going to be doing an IPA this weekend. I guesstimate its SG somewhere north of 70. If I do it Friday, March 11th as planned, it'll go into the secondary on the 18th.

Here's my quandry....I have to go out of town on April 5th, and I'll be out of town until May 17th. So should I try to bottle before I leave (after about 2 weeks in the secondary), or should I just leave it in the secondary for 2 months and bottle when I get back?

Sam
 

phuzle

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Sam75 said:
How about in the secondary?

With luck, I'm going to be doing an IPA this weekend. I guesstimate its SG somewhere north of 70. If I do it Friday, March 11th as planned, it'll go into the secondary on the 18th.

Here's my quandry....I have to go out of town on April 5th, and I'll be out of town until May 17th. So should I try to bottle before I leave (after about 2 weeks in the secondary), or should I just leave it in the secondary for 2 months and bottle when I get back?

Sam
i would brew a week or two later, rack to secondary the day you leave, and let it sit in secondary for an awesome two months.
 

Janx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
24
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Yeah a beer that big will be great with all that time in the secondary.

The only concern I would have is the airlock drying out...probably not an issue unless it's really dry where the fermenter is.
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
Cool. I'll show my wife how to maintain the airlock, and remind her whenever we talk. I think that's what I'll do, then. Thanks!
 

Franiblector

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, TN
homebrewer_99 said:
I left a Hefe Weizen in the primary (plastic) for like 32 days once (I had a heart attack and couldn't do any heavy lifting, etc., for a while). I thought I ruined it, but it won Best of Show and Best of Style over 100 entries.
ROCK ON HB99!
:DGlad you're OK and "allowed' to drink beer after a heart attack!
 

Franiblector

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, TN
and good luck with the brew sam!
i am so impatient i think i would have to go on a trip to leave my beer in secondary that long. just kidding.

i can't help it - i love homebrew. i'm a total beer snob now.

and now that i've seen the benefits of long secondary-ing, it's worth the wait!
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
Franiblector said:
and good luck with the brew sam!
i am so impatient i think i would have to go on a trip to leave my beer in secondary that long. just kidding.

i can't help it - i love homebrew. i'm a total beer snob now.

and now that i've seen the benefits of long secondary-ing, it's worth the wait!
Thanks! I'm the same way. If I didn't have to go on this trip, it would be a miracle if I were to let it go two weeks in the secondary!

I've got two batches bottled up and one in the secondary now. I think if nothing else, this trip is going to teach me the value of letting the stuff mature for a while before chugging it down. In other words, patience!

Sam
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,193
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
Franiblector said:
ROCK ON HB99!
:DGlad you're OK and "allowed' to drink beer after a heart attack!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm fine now.

My last 2 reports indicated that I didn't have any signs of the big H. It's been just over 9 years now and no problems.

I am certain my health is better because of living in Germany for 5 years where they don't use a lot of preservatives, food is prepared on the spot (not fast food), and the beer does not contain all the preservatives and garbage they put in American beer (I stay away from it myself).

I drink several hundred HBs for every 1 American beer I drink. That's why I say I don't really drink American beer.

I read a great quote about beer last night. I'll have to look for it and pass it on later. :D
 

TJ-Bill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
0
I have 2 batches on now, a wheat I pitched on Dec 2nd and and IPA on the 14.

Wheat is stilll in the primary and the IPA is in the Secondary. I only plan moving them out of my fermenting cabinet next week so I can make room for more. Won't Actually Keg the wheat until next weekend. I'm planning ahead so the beer can spend as long as possible in the buckets/carboys.
 

Jamo99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2007
Messages
465
Reaction score
3
Location
It's Always Sunny
Longer is better. Although, if you left it in primary as long as this thread has been around, we'd have a confirmed case of autolysis methinks. :D
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,308
Reaction score
3,672
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
Longer is better. Although, if you left it in primary as long as this thread has been around, we'd have a confirmed case of autolysis methinks. :D
Yeah I was a little shocked to see such an old post bumped up...Someone uses the search feature :mug:


But yeah...4 years...not so good I would think.

 
Top