How long is too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezbonzo01

Reaction score
I have asked this question a couple time over the past couple days. I have 2 batches of cider brewing, and they have been in the primary's for roughly 8 weeks. Is leaving your brew in the primary for extended periods of time an issue, or will it just act like it would after racking it into the secondary? Also temp has become an issue as it is getting warmer during the days here in Maine. My brew temps have been as high as 74 degrees. Again sitting in the primary with all the yeast sediment. Sorry for the stupid questions, especially for all you veteran brewers. Im new to the brewing hobby, and dont want to ruin my works.

I leave my cider on for 8 weeks as a minimum so I think you are good there. You definitely want to keep the temps a little lower than that if possible for at least the majority of the initial fermentation.

The initial fermentation temps were around 68 degrees, it didn't start getting warmer till about a week ago. I made a honey ginger coder that smells awesome. I used a starter on that one, and can tell from the action i got, that is the route to go. Thanx for the help!

I started my fall ciders in Oct and racked to secondary in March. I just finished kegging them yesterday. I bottled 20 gallons and kegged 15 gallons. (I just bought 2 more cornies cause bottling that much sucks.) My winter time basement temps are in the low 60's. I do believe more routine racking is wise in warmer temps.

I believe that as long as you are sanitary it is diffuicult to screw up your cider.

Boy I feel better after reading this thread!

I just tested my batch after 5 weeks in Primary.
Tastes wine like, but sour.
Cloudy, but expected as it was milled cider.

I am really worried though, my reading came out at 1.000 or 0%.
Should I be worried?

I rackedy 2 batches last saturday. Same thing kinda taste like sour apple wine. But my fg is at 1.010, which is right where i wanted it to be. I didnt add the campden crush, cause im hopeing after i bottle it, it will have a bit of fizz and not be completly still. Not sure if i should pasturize, because i dont plan on backsweetening

H-Balm said:

Should I be worried?

I dont think there is anything to worry about, as far. As i can tell, when the fg is 1.000 all the consumable sugar has been turned to alcohol. I think it also has to do with the type of yeast you used. I ised safale us5 and us4. Both are ale yeasts, and ive heard both are food to use in cider. Im new to brewing, so deffinatly take this for what its worth

I rackedy 2 batches last saturday. Same thing kinda taste like sour apple wine. But my fg is at 1.010, which is right where i wanted it to be. I didnt add the campden crush, cause im hopeing after i bottle it, it will have a bit of fizz and not be completly still. Not sure if i should pasturize, because i dont plan on backsweetening

I would advise you to fill a sanitized plastic soda bottle as you are bottling. This will be your test bottle. Store it in the same matter as the rest of your bottles. If it becomes rock hard you will need to pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs.

i would advise you to fill a sanitized plastic soda bottle as you are bottling. This will be your test bottle. Store it in the same matter as the rest of your bottles. If it becomes rock hard you will need to pasteurize to prevent bottle bombs.

+1

Should I be worried?

1.00 is normal and completely expected in most conditions. It is a bit dry for my tastes. I backsweeten to around 1.012. Time will help with the sourness and the sugar will make it more enjoyable in my mind. I also find that a little sweetness brings out the apple flavor.

When you backsweeten there are steps you must take to prevent bottle bombs. You must either stabilize or pasteurize depending on what you want in your end product.

Back