How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
My Marzen has been in the fermenter now for a week (seven days) and the airlock is still going strong (lots of bubbles). Should I give it another couple of days or just go ahead and put it in the secondary now? I don't want it sitting on the trub too long. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks so much

popscube

you'd be fine letting it sit for at least two weeks in the primary...even longer if you wanted.

I would personally give it at least a week once the bubbling stops, you wanna give the yeasties some time to clean up after themselves.

Too long in primary would be 6+ months. I primary mine 3-4 weeks typically. No secondary.

Oh, I've seen those guys in some of those pron movies. 11" or 12" Is that real? I think it's just camera angles. That's definitely too long. Unfortunately I've never had women label me too long......

Wait, this is the sexual confession forum, right? :drunk::drunk:

I concur with the advice given here. Just leave it in the primary for at least 2-3 weeks. Then take a hydrometer reading. The hydrometer appears to be one of those "love-hate" items of equipment in this pastime, largely because so many folks break so many hydrometers. However, there's no substitute for taking an FG reading; only way to know for sure your beer's done.

If you don't get along well with glass hydrometers, there appears to be a plastic one that's made in the UK. Don't know how hard it would be to get over here.

I agree - my stout was in the primary for 6 weeks, no problems whatsoever. Taste tested before bottling, and its going very well.

In your hydrometer thy shall trust!

My Marzen has been in the fermenter now for a week (seven days) and the airlock is still going strong (lots of bubbles). Should I give it another couple of days or just go ahead and put it in the secondary now? I don't want it sitting on the trub too long. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks so much

popscube
Well, if it's a real Marzen you're brewing, then you are using lager yeast, which means you gonna need 2-3 weeks in a primary (50-60F), and 2+ weeks in secondary (40-50F).
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-1.html
It is possible, that you bought a "fake" Marzen kit, which probably came with an Ale yeast, instead of a Lager yeast. In this case the fermentation should be done by now, but obviously if it's still bubbling, then I would leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back