how long is TOO long in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
I had 2 batches of cream ale, and I kegged one batch but have never gotten around to kegging the other (or racking it to a secondary). So it's been sitting in the primary bucket since mid January (temp was maintained at < 70 for 3-4 weeks, but since then the temp has fluctuated since I haven't maintained the ice rotations in my chiller).

Anyways, just wondering what everyone's opinion here is...do you think it's still good and should I keg it? Or the fact it's been sitting on the yeast sediment this long and has some temp fluctuations as late likely mean it's gone bad?

I'll have no personal heartbreak about having to dump it, since I originally meant to only brew the 1 batch and wanted my 2nd keg for some other type of beer..but I hate to waste good beer if you guys think there's still a chance it'll turn out fine?

if the airlock is good (and still has liquid in it...) it will probably be better then the first batch...depending on style. a couple months is good conditioning in my book. temps shouldn't be a big deal (although not ideal...) because they were maintained for the fermentation time. Beer (unlike wine) doesn't get off flavors from sitting on sediment for extended periods.

If you plan on long conditioning i prefer glass...(not that this was planned...)

At the end of the day, should be very good...

I would say you are fine and you might want to take a look at the bottom on this page at the similar threads. Some others have your same question.

Latest posts

Back