How long is too long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeg17

Reaction score
How long is too long letting your beer sit in the secondary before bottling/kegging? Also what if you dry hopped?

I like to dry hop for 7 days, 10 days tops. As far as leaving in secondary, if you have decent control over the temperature (stable, and not too warm), it can sit there for quite some time.

I had a Belgian strong dark sit in secondary for 3 months or so. Tasted fantastic. Some brewers worry about leaving beer on a yeast cake for awhile, but with healthier yeasts nowadays you don't even have to worry about that.

Dry hopping you definitely want to limit. I agree with 10 days max.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I might be alone on this, but after repeatedly testing it, I have found that 1 second is too long in secondary. My opinion is that it's completely a waste of time and space, and leads to potentially exposing the beer to oxygen as well as airborne bacteria/wild yeast that could result in off-flavors. Dry hop in the primary after the main fermentation is done, under good temperature conditions the yeast will continue to take care of diacetyl lowering the levels to near zero over a 30 day period.

i think any amount of time, based on the beer style and what you want; even years if the beer style calls for it...but if and only if you top up or otherwise raise the level of the liquid to the very top of the carboy. otherwise, three or four weeks at most, longer if it is very cold.

I've had beers in primary for 7+ months, not on purpose that were good aside from diminished hop character. I don't believe there are many good reasons to secondary a beer, but if you must, you are safe leaving it long term if the temp is controlled and your sanitation practices are adequate.

I might be alone on this, but after repeatedly testing it, I have found that 1 second is too long in secondary. My opinion is that it's completely a waste of time and space, and leads to potentially exposing the beer to oxygen as well as airborne bacteria/wild yeast that could result in off-flavors. Dry hop in the primary after the main fermentation is done, under good temperature conditions the yeast will continue to take care of diacetyl lowering the levels to near zero over a 30 day period.

I have to agree. Secondaries are really not necessary except in rare cases. Even for extended aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We just keg'd a Tank 7 clone that was in secondary for 6 months and that is the clearest beer ever keg'd from our group. If you are going to let a standard beer sit put mineral oil in air lock so it won't evaporate.
Oldest beer I have is a Flanders 31 months

Thanks guys! I usually only secondary when i dry hop or do any other late additions. But I guess it's not necessary?

Back