How long is TOO long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very vague, what kind of beer? If it's low gravity, it will age fast and won't need a long secondary. If its a higher gravity, you can keep it in secondary for a very long time, as its just a big bottle of beer essentially. Most of here on HBT don't use secondaries, a 3.5-4 week primary on most beer is sufficient.

justin

It's an American Pale Ale. Due to issues beyond my control it's been in the secondary for nearly 3 months :(

It's an American Pale Ale. Due to issues beyond my control it's been in the secondary for nearly 3 months :(

It may be a bit oxidated if the head space from the transfer lacks sufficient CO2. This is one reason I don't go to secondary. The biggest thing will be loss in hop aroma/flavor if you aggressively hopped it. The REAL question is whether the airlock ever dried out.

The REAL question is whether the airlock ever dried out.

Never thought of that. In other words, if the airlock dried out then it's been open to oxygen... so the flavor would be ruined or bad for you to consume (cause illness)?

dozens said:
Just checked, airlock is still holding water.

What are you waiting for lol .... Take off the airlock.....take a whiff.. If you don't pass out from the stench... Take a sip... If you don't barf.... Bottle it! Beer is more resilient than you might think but you are pushing it so get on it! Good luck!

Very vague, what kind of beer? If it's low gravity, it will age fast and won't need a long secondary. If its a higher gravity, you can keep it in secondary for a very long time, as its just a big bottle of beer essentially. Most of here on HBT don't use secondaries, a 3.5-4 week primary on most beer is sufficient.

justin

Not true what so ever

A secondary is meant to bulk age beer. So there's not really a wrong answer for most beer. Granted some beers like IPA, the hop character may fade with time. But the point of a secondary is to AGE a beer. If your airlock is sound, you sanitization is good, and no fruitflies have turned your beer to vinegar, you can secondary a beer as long as it needs, or you want it to. Some beers weeks, some beers months, some years....

My OG 1170, 17% ABV Barlewine has sat in a tertiary for nearlyr 2 years, and just spent the last couple months in an oak barrel, and then will sit in bottles for another 3 years.

It really depends on the beer.

A secondary is meant to bulk age beer. So there's not really a wrong answer for most beer. Granted some beers like IPA, the hop character may fade with time. But the point of a secondary is to AGE a beer. If your airlock is sound, you sanitization is good, and no fruitflies have turned your beer to vinegar, you can secondary a beer as long as it needs, or you want it to. Some beers weeks, some beers months, some years....

My OG 1170, 17% ABV Barlewine has sat in a tertiary for nearlyr 2 years, and just spent the last couple months in an oak barrel, and then will sit in bottles for another 3 years.

Jeez Revvy, will you be around that long?? (kidding...)

You are a very patient man. lol

When it's a crusty dried up pile of dust in the bottom of the carboy, it's probably been too long.

Beer for years in a carboy...I'll get there someday.

Latest posts

Back