How Long is Too Long in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewer21

Reaction score
So I wanna say my red ale has been in the primary for 6 weeks now. Is this too long and should be scrapped?

hmmm.. you may need to worry about yeast autolysis... why not taste it and bottle/keg it if it's still good?

I've had beers sit on their yeast bed for up to 4 weeks with no problems..

Cheers,
Awfers

What is your fermenter? 6 weeks in a carboy is much different than 6 weeks in a bucket? The carboy scenario is obviously safer. Either way, it's probably time to bottle/keg.

dude i have mead that sits in primary for a month or two easy with a much higher alcohol content. You will know if autolysis takes place although i have never had it happen. The real question is why have you let your beer sit in primary for a month and a half. Is it done fermenting? what are your recipe and gravity readings?

Don't ever throw away a beer unless you're sure it's no good. The beer is fine, it's probably time to transfer, but many brewers leave there beers in extended primary. A lot of people talk about autolysis, but almost no one has seen it.

Really I've just been too busy and out of town on business a great deal. It has been done fermenting, I'm not worried a/b that. I guess it's just been laziness. It is in a bucket. I usually only use the carboy for secondary.

So I wanna say my red ale has been in the primary for 6 weeks now. Is this too long and should be scrapped?

Unless it smells ghastly (and I doubt that it does) you're perfectly fine.

It's probably pretty clear after six weeks in primary, but if not you could certainly rack to a secondary and/or use some gelatin finings. I'd crash cool it, rack to a keg and let it sit another month or two. Or bottle, if that's how you roll.

Under no circumstances are you to dump it!! OK? ;)

It could be one of the best beers you've ever made. You might even decide that a month or so in primary is a good thing. RDWHAHB.

hmmm.. you may need to worry about yeast autolysis... why not taste it and bottle/keg it if it's still good?

I've had beers sit on their yeast bed for up to 4 weeks with no problems..

Cheers,
Awfers

dude i have mead that sits in primary for a month or two easy with a much higher alcohol content. You will know if autolysis takes place although i have never had it happen. The real question is why have you let your beer sit in primary for a month and a half. Is it done fermenting? what are your recipe and gravity readings?

Autolysis is one of those brewing bogeyman that should just let die...

You can leave you beer on the yeast cake for a few months with no problem...in fact if you leave your normal beers on it for a month you're going to have really clean tasting, clear beers, because the yeast after it's done fermenting with have the opportunity to clean up after themselves...

Most people seem to miss the part in How To Brew where Palmer says;

John Palmer said:
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

Your beer is fine!

+1 to what Revvy said. I was a little aprehensive the first time I passed the month in primary mark, but I don't even give it a second thought now. My beer has never complained once either.

My kolsch just went into the keg after 6 weeks in primary, and it was crystal clear. It has a real nice pale honey color as well--something I thought I'd never see in an extract kit! Can't wait for this one to condition a little bit.

Six weeks in a bucket sounds a little scary, but really it comes down to temperature. Are you fermenting in a controlled environment like a fridge with a Ranko? I think with controlled temperature you will be fine. I don't even rack into a secondary anymore, I just let it ferment down, usually 14 days, and then cold crash it. Then I bring the temp back up for dry hopping, usually 7 to 10 days. Then cold crash again, add Gelatin for 3 to 5 days then rack into serving tank. Works every time.

Eastside

Echoing a number of earlier comments, autolysis is not really an issue, and if it would ever become an issue - its not subtle. A bigger concern is consistant temperature. If you had some daily temp swings or heat spikes you may end up with some off flavors, but there's nothing that would kill you so I'd bottle it and swig some and see what's up then.

Yea, I'm approaching 7 weeks for my Wit. About one week after pitching I decided to move to a new apartment. Then my car broke, meaning I couldn't get to the homebrew place for bottlecaps. My beer has been moved - always carefully, covered and sealed - carried and driven around on the front seat of my car (with a seatbelt, of course) in the past few weeks, and I don't see an opportunity to bottle for at least another week and a half. Would feel safer if I was in a carboy rather than a bucket, but it's too late now!

In any case, the gravity was basically stabilized three weeks ago when I last tested it, and it tasted like (flat, warm, young) beer then. So it's got alcohol, and maybe the long fermentation will make it better. Whatever comes out, I'm drinking it. No sense wasting alcohol.

My beer has been moved - always carefully, covered and sealed - carried and driven around on the front seat of my car (with a seatbelt, of course) in the past few weeks,

Imagine explaining that "open container" to the officer.

RDWHAHB... Unless you had some serious heat, it'll be great. Plenty of time for the yeasties to clean up any unwanted bi-products...

I've had a cream ale in a bucket for 7 weeks and 3 days.....never thought about it going bad, just worried that it'll be clearer than I was wanting it to be. I've been busy, and was ready to bottle it at 4 weeks but the F.G. was off or my readings were wrong. I just closed it back up and haven't had a chance (or thought) to check it again since then.

Guess, I won't start worrying about it now either, but I'm going to bottle it this week.

I recently bottled an apfelwein after 4 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary, and 3 weeks after adding sorbate (tertiary, I guess) to stabilize. I wanted it to bulk-age for a while, and it tastes fine.

I've heard of people leaving beers in the primary for 3+ months, no problems. Remember, for the most part it will only improve with age.

Back