How long is too long for primary fermentation making cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastieBoi13

Reaction score
Still very new to cider brewing-Started 3 1/2 gallons of apple juice, agave and yeast on July 13. I've been so busy/lazy that I haven't racked it for a secondary fermentation where I plan to add carbonation. It's been about a week and a half since I've seen any activity in the carboy. Is it too late to bottle with a little extra sugar for a carbonated effect? Will it still be good? Havent'taken a gravity reading since I first put it all together, but I plan on taking one if I end up racking it here within the next few days.

July of this year? Yeah it's fine to bottle.
There's no problem leaving it in primary for months.

Curious... I’ve had mine in primary for 1.5 years or so... thoughts on if it’s still good ?

There's no reason to rush cider, traditional methods in France include aging of cider in barrels for more than a year. Cider is very stable once fermented out completely and can improve with time if properly fermented and stored. I use silicone breathable bungs for extended aging to avoid drying out of airlocks. Some of my ciders sit for 12-13 months to enhance complexity by aging on lees.

Last edited:
Back