How long is to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeer1991

Reaction score
I'm making a brown ale holiday beer and I switched it from primary fermentation to secondary once the bubbler bubbled 2-3 times per minute and the initial hydrometer reading was 1.43 and the end was 1.10.
Now that its in the secondary fermenter it's not bubbling at all, and when I taste it the spices are still strong. Will letting the secondary fermentation dilute the spices, and how long can it remain fermenting before it won't carbonate correctly whe. Bottled

If your hydrometer reading is stable over a couple of days, then the beer is done fermenting- "secondary fermentation" is a misnomer; by the time you rack to secondary, fermentation should basically be done. The secondary is really just a "bright beer" tank- it lets the beer clarify and the flavors continue to blend and, in this case, mellow. That's why many of us don't do secondary at all unless we're racking onto wood chips, adding fruit, etc.

There is no set limit for how long you can leave your beer in secondary- for some styles, people secondary for months. It will not affect your beer's ability to carb in the bottles, as the yeast will only go into a dormant stage; they won't die. Priming when you bottle will rouse them from their slumber. Bottle when you think it tastes right (but if you want to drink it for the holidays, I'd bottle within the next week or so to give it time to carb up).

mrbeer1991 said:
Now that its in the secondary fermenter it's not bubbling at all, and when I taste it the spices are still strong. Will letting the secondary fermentation dilute the spices

Spices will continue to blend in the secondary or the bottle. I had a witbier with grossly strong coriander after a week in bottles that mellowed out nicely after another two weeks.

A good rule of thumb that has worked well for me is 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 2 weeks in the bottle. Adjust as you find it necessary but 2,2 and 2 will work in most cases.

A good rule of thumb that has worked well for me is 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 2 weeks in the bottle. Adjust as you find it necessary but 2,2 and 2 will work in most cases.

Alternately, if you want to give the no-secondary method a try, most people will recommend 3+3 (three weeks primary + three weeks in bottles) for standard ales. More primary time might be recommended for stronger stuff, etc. Carbonation will typically occur within the first week or two in the bottle, but time really does help most beers. Doesn't mean you can't sneak a bottle after a week or two. Or maybe two bottles. :tank:

Thanks for all the info everyone. This is my first extract batch besides the mr. Beer. I'm not sure if I should have started with a holiday beer, maybe something more simple

Back