How long is it taking you to get sprouts this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaX

Reaction score
I put mine 1 week ago, and still nothin.
I ask because the weather has been in the upper 30's at night lately, but I read they can survive this.
As well, there has been some light showers these last couple of days, and it's supposed to rain modestly on Friday. I could cover them, but I feel I should let nature do her thing.
I have 7 first-year rhizomes.

What else everyone else's experience with their plants sprouting this particular year? Both first-year and second, etc.

I put mine 1 week ago, and still nothin.
I ask because the weather has been in the upper 30's at night lately, but I read they can survive this.
As well, there has been some light showers these last couple of days, and it's supposed to rain modestly on Friday. I could cover them, but I feel I should let nature do her thing.
I have 7 first-year rhizomes.

What else everyone else's experience with their plants sprouting this particular year? Both first-year and second, etc.

I just planted 2 cascade rhizomes, 1 in the ground and 1 in a pot. Both took a little over two weeks to sprout.

Working on two first-year rhizomes - Nugget & Willamette. Planted about 3 weeks ago, and the weather has been chilly (upper 30's at night, low 50's at day), overcast & often rainy. I finally got impatient with no noticable growth a couple days ago and did some hand digging. A couple Willamette sprouts are close to breaking through, but only healthy bud growth from the Nugget.

This is actually surprising to me, because the Willamette rhizome, when i received it, looked simply like a twig, whereas the Nugget rhizome actually looked like a plant that something would grow from - complete with sprouts, buds, etc.

I'll wait for the weather to be more ideal before i seriously start sweating it.

I have 6-second year varieties in the ground.

I had to keep them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks because the ground and the weather would not let me. When I planted them last spring, I checked them about every other day!! When they did start to break thru, I had to put a fence around the Sunbeam because some animal was having them for lunch.

It took them about 3-4 weeks for them to show some activity. The temp needs to be a littler warmer for a little longer for them to get going.

All of them are sprouting already this spring; a couple have 3” sprouts. The Sterling is the slowest of the bunch, only a couple of half inch sprouts.

I have Cascade, Crystal, Magnum, Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Sunbeam. Two of all of them except three of the Sunbeam.

It has not dropped below 50* in a while here for the low temperature and some of my first years (centennial and magnum) are quick to rise at about 5 days, my Chinook just poked through after about a week but the Willamette has not come up again, but I also replanted these after deciding to go with the horizontal method. All of these have a good amount of sun.

On the other hand, I have cascades that have been in the ground for nearly 3 weeks and have not sprouted but I think it is due to lack of direct sun so I will be moving them.

My first year cascades took over 3 weeks to sprout. I was to the point of thinking the rhizome was dead when they sprouted. My other two second year had sprouted weeks earlier.

Put a centennial and golding in small pots monday (still freezing outside at night but wanted to get them started). Golding already is showing sprout. Maybe warm temperatures do make a difference? Didn't put them too deep though since the pots are small and they'll be transplanted probably next week sometime.

I've got mine in my basement under a 24 hour light (pre-sprout) and 14 hour light (post-sprout) and it's taken everywhere from 2 weeks to 2 days (that rhizome had VERY long buds on it).

my 2nd year started to come up early march. planted 4 new ones and all showed growth signs at most 2 weeks later! WOOHOO!

My first year hops took about a week to break the surface. The Nugget, Mt Hood and Willamette are showing really good growth (about 6-8 inches tall, planted about 3 weeks ago). The Cascades had the smallest rhizomes and are about 2-4 inches tall.

Latest posts

Back