How long is extract good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustDerleth

Reaction score
How long is extract viable for, if it's kept in a dark, fairly cool environment? Obviously, if you open your bucket and there's layers of mold all over the syrup it's no longer any good but about how long will extract hold for? Thanks!
:fro:

If it's a bucket that was filled at your LHBS, you will want to use it ASAP as freshness is counting down.

When you can't get to it right away, open the bucket, and pour a layer of vodka over the top of the extract and put the lid back on. This will prevent mold on it and extend the life of it for a few weeks.

I've used one of those extract pouches from Williams brewing that was 7 years old and it made OK beer.

If it's a bucket that was filled at your LHBS, you will want to use it ASAP as freshness is counting down.

When you can't get to it right away, open the bucket, and pour a layer of vodka over the top of the extract and put the lid back on. This will prevent mold on it and extend the life of it for a few weeks.

I've used one of those extract pouches from Williams brewing that was 7 years old and it made OK beer.

Yeah it's from the LHBS, and eeeks! Could refrigeration help extend the life? If I were to pour vodka on it, would I then just throw that out and use the extract as usual? Will this effect the flavour of the beer or will the small amount of vodka left cook out? Thanks! :fro:

The vodka will float on top and prevent mold from forming. It will not affect the flavor at all. Just pour it off and use the extract when ready.

Latest posts

Back