How long is DME good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive Drab

Reaction score
How long is it good for if stored properly? What classified as "stored properly?" Ive been using LME but want to switch and am considering bulk purchasing of 55# bags.

Well first you need to get a cryogenic freezer using liquid helium. Then you need a power source for after Skynet becomes self aware. Once you have all that set up 3 miles in a hardened bunker, spread moth balls around the freezer and you could get a few months out of it.

- The above pose is in no way good advice.

My guess would be a few months. You mainly need to keep it exposed to as little oxygen as possible, as DME can oxidize pretty badly.

Professor Frink said:
My guess would be a few months. You mainly need to keep it exposed to as little oxygen as possible, as DME can oxidize pretty badly.
woudl air tight jars with silica pills be the way or is there someway better? I dont drink enough to use over say 55lbs of wheat DME in a year.

Latest posts

Back