How Long Is A Batch Of Star San Good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
How long after making a 5 gallon batch of Star San will it continue to sanitize??

Who uses Star San and who uses another method of instrument sanitation?

If made with distilled or RO water then pretty much indefinite. I use ph strips to check.

Yeah, I guess I am going to have to learn about ph strips. What about just plain tap water??

I use it for weeks, months. Even when it gets cloudy. Regular, low alkalinity tap water here.

Depending on how you use it, you may not need 5 gallons at a time, usually half of that is plenty. Also fill a spray bottle with it, from your bucket.

If you don't put any heavy soiled stuff in it or beer/wort/etc., IOW, only well washed and well rinsed equipment, the pH should stay very stable, around 3. I test with pH paper once in a while, but it rarely is above 3.

Yeah, I guess I am going to have to learn about ph strips. What about just plain tap water??

Depends on the alkalinity, the higher it is the more of the phosphoric acid will be neutralized, raising the solution pH perhaps above the effective level (3.5 iirc).

In distilled water I've never had the pH rise above 3 even after months of use.
I end up tossing my Star San reservoir and building a fresh batch because of organic loading, not high pH...

Cheers!

I use distilled water, and it lasts FOREVER. I essentially have a solera of Starsan. I keep a 5 gallon bucket and a keg of it at all times. I use it to fill and purge kegs, so it's constantly moving and mixing. There's inevitable loss over time, so when I'm low enough, I just mix up another 5 gal with distilled water.

Also, keeping a spray bottle filled to use as needed is essential; I couldn't imagine life without it.

Latest posts

Back