HOw long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
It has been so long since I've made beer that I've forgotten a whole lot. A question I have right now is, how long should I primary if it appears that fermentaion has stopped after only a week? It was going so fast the second day that the airlock was a steady stream of bubbles, but is now at the point where it's barely bubbling.
Originally I thought I'd primary for a month, then secondary for two weeks. Should I make that two and two, or is that not long enough in the primary?

Secondary is not hip anymore and people have mostly stopped doing it (or actually they usually do secondary straight in the bottle).

The only reason I'd secondary this is because there's a hop addition at that point. Otherwise it'd go straight to keg.

Even with multiple dry hop additions, and other additions, its still generally considered best practice to not secondary

secondary "fermentation" is not really a fermentation unless you added more sugars for the yeast to eat :D

The only reason I'd secondary this is because there's a hop addition at that point. Otherwise it'd go straight to keg.

I'm assuming this is the Snowy Mountain American Pale Ale. Usually your looking at about a week for fermentation or until you reach target attenuation, and then I would allow another week for the yeast to clean up behind itself. during the second week add the dry hops or wait until the 3rd week. Then condition in the keg the 4th week.

I don't have the pipeline to wait that long, so usually I force carb the 3rd week. From what I've read from homebrewer, pro and academic research, their is no need to remove the beer from the yeast cake in the primary even if dry hopping. The secondary seems to be only recommended if you're doing an adjunct like fruit, etc. or if your going to condition longer than one to two months.

Edit: I've had decent drinkable dry hopped IPAs carbed and drinking in less than 2 weeks. On the other hand I've had great dry hopped IPAs in 3 weeks.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just toss those hope in there the tird week ten. I'm in no real rush to have it done before July 17th...that's the day my son gets here for three weeks of leave. ALthough, I migt just have to drink a few of tem before he gets home. LOL

Latest posts

Back