How long in fermentation vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brew-Dawg

Reaction score
I have 10 gallons of a Nut Brown that I brewed 2 years ago but some unexpected life struggles made it impossible for me to keg it.
Is it worth kegging now or should I dump it (sniff sniff)?

Axegod

Reaction score
2 Years sounds wayyyyyyy too long.
If you are that detemined to try...why not prime a bottle or two, and wait another
week (provided it is still in a liquid form).
I doubt you will get past the smell test - but good luck!

OP
B

Brew-Dawg

Reaction score
The flavor is great; I just don't want to increase the gastroenterologist business in my neighborhood by making everyone sick!

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it tastes fine, try priming a bottle and let'r rip. You may need to add a bit of atcive yeast though.
Or just fill a keg and try a pint with 911 on speed dial!

:D

jrp3

Reaction score
Keg it & drink it! :tank: I brewed a stout and before I could even transfer it to secondary I got shipped out to Iraq. Came back a year later and had some more of those "life struggles." Finally got around to bottling the stout a year and a half after brewing it and not only did it carbonate just fine without adding additional yeast, it tasted pretty darn good too. :mug: If it smells good & tastes good, you're good to go.

david_42

Reaction score
Infected ale is obvious. It stinks, it's ropy, chunky, tastes like cardboard, dead skunks, etc. If it smells and tastes ok, do it. I have a barleywine that has been in the keg for 3 1/2 years, hasn't been below room temperature that entire period and is fine stuff.