How long for smack packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I am starting a Rochefort 10 clone from AHS tomorrow and i am trying to take EXTRA special care to make sure this one turns out absolutely perfect as i want this beer to taste as close to the original as possible (those who have had rochefort 10 know what i mean :drunk: ). I got a wyeast activator pack and i have heard (maybe i am wrong) that i should set the yeast out of the fridge the night before? Or maybe i should set it out the night before and activate it as well? any guidance as to these smack packs would be helpful as so far i have only used dry yeast. Thanks!

Dude you need to replan your brew day. That is a big-ass beer and you need to build up a starter to get enough yeast to pitch into that bad boy. Even better brew a Belgian ale something in the 1.045-1.050 starting gravity range and then use the yeast cake from that to pitch into your Rochefort 10 clone.

I usually start the smack pack first thing in the am and then pitch into a starter once it fills out. There isn't enough yeast in one smack pack to pitch adequately into a beer unless you are brewing about a 1.035-1.040 ale, and even then you are underpitching some.

GT

Yeah the instructions from AHS are calling for a starting OG of 1.100. It uses 13.5 lbs of LME (still extract but moving up to PM, i know it sucks).

Got Trub? said:
Dude you need to replan your brew day. That is a big-ass beer and you need to build up a starter to get enough yeast to pitch into that bad boy. Even better brew a Belgian ale something in the 1.045-1.050 starting gravity range and then use the yeast cake from that to pitch into your Rochefort 10 clone.

I usually start the smack pack first thing in the am and then pitch into a starter once it fills out. There isn't enough yeast in one smack pack to pitch adequately into a beer unless you are brewing about a 1.035-1.040 ale, and even then you are underpitching some.

GT

So me being the Noob how would i get a starter going for this kind of beer? I have an extra pack of Nottingham dry yeast and i have a pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist yeast. Should i maybe pitch one of those in addition? I have a belgian ale kit right now but i would rather just start on the Rochefort now so as i can keep the ingredients as fresh as possible (maybe i'm thinking about this the wrong way?).

Back