How long for NEIPA hop burn to fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently brewed this NEIPA We Like Space Hazy DIPA - All Grain Beer Brewing Kit (5 Gallons) | MoreBeer

I soft crashed to 58F post fermentation and added the 9 oz dry hop (loose in fermenter). I left it at 58F for ~24 hours then cold crashed to 38F for an additional ~40 hours, then kegged. I've never gotten hop burn in the past using this approach (although I usually bag the hops), but in this beer there is a very strong hop burn/dry hop bitterness.

It's been in the keg 4 days and the burn is fading, but it's still too strong. How long does in generally take for hop burn to fade in your experiences? I've not dealt with this before, but read it should be gone in a week or so?

Have you done many neipa's with 12 ounces of big hops like Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic per five gallons?
That's right about what I use for my neipas - but I always give them two weeks plus a few days minimum chilled and at chart pressure to carbonate, which may tame any burn before I get them on tap. I'd say give it another week at least to calm down ;)

Cheers!

Thanks! Most of the ones I've done have a similar hop schedule. Strangely I've bottled most of them and never had hop burn in the bottled ones, but the 2 that I've done in keg have had some degree of hop burn. I wonder if its possible that reactivating the yeast with priming sugar binds them to suspended hop particles and sinks them out of solution, speeding conditioning? Idk...

Anyway, I was trying to rush this beer along for a party, but I will wait another week or two...sadly...

Have you done many neipa's with 12 ounces of big hops like Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic per five gallons?
That's right about what I use for my neipas - but I always give them two weeks plus a few days minimum chilled and at chart pressure to carbonate, which may tame any burn before I get them on tap. I'd say give it another week at least to calm down ;)

Cheers!
That's a big hop load. I thought I was walking on the wild side when I used four oz to dry-hop :)

Did you ever drink your bottled beers on day 4? I have never done a 9 oz dry hop, but I do find that my kegged IPAs are better after a week or two in the keg than during the first week.

Actually yes, I've drank the first bottle on day 4 for all of them and they were all smooth with no hop burn. I have no explanation as to why, I'm quite confused really.

Back