How long for Hef in before botling/keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I brewed a Hef a week ago today using 3068 and it has reached F.G. However it has a ton of sediment and crap still floating around and also a good chunk of krausen on top still. I have read a few threads on people keeping it in primary only a week then kegging and then I've seen people keeping it in for a month then racking to secondary for a week then kegging just to clean it up a bit. I don't want this much sediment in my beer and I know I got a lot due to using a wine thief and it sucked a lot off the bottom but there is also a lot still floating in the beer. I've also seen a thread on where if the krausen doesn't sink back into the beer the brewer swirled slowly (as not to get o2 into the beer) to get krausen to kinda seep back in and then waited another week and then kegged/bottled.
While there might not be one BEST answer what do you all think? I attached a pic of the sample I took from the thief.

Thanks!

Hef.jpg

Hefes are best young. If your fermentation conditions were perfect, I say keg it at 2-3 weeks.

I would never secondary a hefe unless I was making a krystal.

FWIW, I have never racked beer that still had krausen intact.

I have heard that sometimes the krausen doesn't go down on this yeast strain... I wanna say it was a post from Revvy regarding it.. but I might have to look it up and see if I can find it. The person said they swirled it gently and then let it sit another week .... never had heard of that but... who knows...

If fg has been stable for a few days and there is still a krausen, cold crashing will get it to drop. With a hefe, ill bottle 3 or 4 days after it hits fg.

Yeah, Hefs are cloudy. It's just how they are. Bottling might be a bit more ideal for you if you don't want the cloudiness as it will have more time to condition and settle in the bottles allowing you to control how much low-floc yeast you pour.

Here is an option, not one that I would do per say, but might depending on time frame how soon do (I) you want to start enjoying this beer.
You may want to gelatin fine (this won't remove all the suspended yeast) this at the same time you swirl the krausen back into the beer. Then wait a couple days and if you can cold crash it for a couple more days you should be able to siphon it into a keg or bottling bucket and bottle with as little sediment as possible and also without waiting along time to let it settle out.
BTW: Fining may/may not reduce some of the aromatics.

Latest posts

Back