How Long For Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
I brewed a Mexican Lager and a Czech Lager. The recipe call for cold crash and add a 1/4 pack of yeast with priming sugar when bottling. I used WLP 800 and 940 and made 1 liter starters for both. Did some research and the length of cold crash varies from a few days to 6 weeks. I brought the temp down after dycetel rest slowly down to 33 degrees F.

What are your thoughts on how long to lager at 33 degrees and the additional yeast?

I posted a similar thread on general discussion on this subject a while back. Since then I have discussed the subject with some local brewers and received different opinions. Some concerns are yeast health and length of time at 32 -33 F. I apologize for the same subject posted but thought I would try some opinions under the fermentation subject head because I am still unsure of what to do. Also cheated with WLP and all I really got back was that's a tricky one.

Ok discussion with another homebrewer and this being my second year of brewing and first time brewing a lager, he explained cold crash and lagering. Hmmm my bad. I thought cold crash was lagering but not. So I am lagering my two creations. So my fears have all been acknowledged and I will let them lager for 4 to 6 weeks. From what I am told 6 weeks is better but do not go beyond. This beer brewing is surely a never ending learning process.

I've heard that a good rule of thumb with lagering is 1 week for every 1 degree Plato FG. So (for example), a 1.055 FG (13.6 P) beer would lager for 13.6 weeks. I've also seen a 1 week per 2 P rule of thumb, so anywhere in the middle (6.8-13.6 weeks) will probably be fine.

I've heard that a good rule of thumb with lagering is 1 week for every 1 degree Plato FG. So (for example), a 1.055 FG (13.6 P) beer would lager for 13.6 weeks. I've also seen a 1 week per 2 P rule of thumb, so anywhere in the middle (6.8-13.6 weeks) will probably be fine.
Don't you mean O.G. 1.055/13.6P?

Back