How long for bottle fermentation to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainmaster

Reaction score
Total newb. Hi everyone:tank: :tank:

I did my first batch from a can of hopped extract. (canadian adventure ale) Everything went well and I bottled about 5 days ago.
Of course I am watching it like an expectant father and I noticed that the priming sugar is still sitting in the bottom with no evidence of in bottle fermentation. How long should this normally take before the white dextrose starts looking more like dead yeast? The kit said to leave it for 10 days at room temp then age in a cool place for 6-8 weeks.

I can see the sugar because some of my bottles are clear glass.

thats not dextrose, you did boil the priming sugar and water then add it while bottling. that yeast sediment..it will take a solid week for good carbonation, after 2 it will be great infusion in the beer and the taste will have aged and gotten a bit bettter

Arneba28 said:
thats not dextrose, you did boil the priming sugar and water then add it while bottling

NO I just added a half teaspoon of powdered dextrose per bottle before filling. Pretty sure it's the sugar I'm seeing because its white. Your method sounds better. I will see how it goes after in the next few days...
Thnks

5 days isn't enough time. you need to give it about 2 more weeks, and a couple of days.

Bottle conditioning always leaves some yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottles (yes, it looks white)
Malkore is right though, you're still about 2 weeks away from your first homebrew.
Good luck and enjoy!

david_42 said:
Roll the bottles around to mix the sugar in.

Agreed, based on what you're saying the sugar didn't get mixed into the beer very well. Roll it around to help disolve it into the beer.

Back