How long for a starter with stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosofool

Reaction score
How long does a 1.6 L starter pitched with 95 bil cells need to ferment before the yeast is fully propagated? Can I refrigerate for just 24 hours before pitching it? I seem to recall reading that you should either pitch the starter at high krausen or wait two days before pitching. Naturally, I don't want my beer to be five percent starter, so I like to chil and decant before pitching.

2 days spinning strongly, one day cold crashed, ready to pitch. I bring up to ferm temp (or close) a couple of hours before I pitch.

Around 18 hours on stir plate for starter. 24 in fridge to crash for decanting.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Thanks for the answers. The yeast appears to be dead, since the wort is still sweet after 24 hours with the bar going and there's no evident fermentation aroma. I have contacted my supplier (who is normally excellent and shall remain nameless until they really piss me off) about the quality issue.

Thanks for the answers. The yeast appears to be dead, since the wort is still sweet after 24 hours with the bar going and there's no evident fermentation aroma. I have contacted my supplier (who is normally excellent and shall remain nameless until they really piss me off) about the quality issue.
#1 reason to make a starter. Make sure your yeast is viable BEFORE you brew. :rockin:

I know you aren't happy now, but think how unhappy you woulda been if...

Back