how long does the krausen usually last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trout

Reaction score
I apologize for the rookie question. I'm brewing my first batch and the krausen topped out in my primary carboy after about 24 hours and was completely gone after 2.5 days. Is this normal? I was expecting it to take much longer than that.

It lasts as long as it wants to. I've had brews where the krausen has dropped within 2 or 3 days, and others where it's lasted for over 3 weeks

Welcome to the forum.

-a.

I agree with that timeline with one addition...sometimes it just sticks to your carboy and obscures all vision so you can't even tell if it's there or not!

Some strains produce a thin layer that disappears quickly. Others (particularly Belgian strains) make a big fluffy krausen that may never dissipate. Gravity readings or long enough in the fermenter are your only ways to know.

I brewed a wheat beer a couple batches ago that I pitched into after midnight on brewday; the next morning when I woke up the krausen had exploded up into the airlock (with a gallon and a half of headspace), and was gone in less than 24 hours. The beer came out terrific. It seems like no two fermentations are exactly the same, so don't worry.

I had to put a tube on my air lock and let the krausen and gas escape in to a sanitizing bath. Is loosing some of the krausen a bad thing?

I had to put a tube on my air lock and let the krausen and gas escape in to a sanitizing bath. Is loosing some of the krausen a bad thing?

Not at all. It's called a blowoff tube, pretty much everyone uses this method. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of yeast left in the fermentor to get the job done.

Back