How long does the beer stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopdogg315

Reaction score
After you bottle it and its ready to drunk, how long can you keep in in the bottles before it goes stale? We don't have a second fridge and can't see me keeping all 40-50 in the fridge from a batch.

Does this question even make sense or do I need to re word?

Thanks guys

Depends on many factors, particularily the strength (abv) of the beer and the storage condition, even if you don't have enough refrideration space, but do have a cool basement that will help, keep it as cool and dark as possible. For a lower abv beer you should at least have few months if stored in basement, beers north of 10% abv can be kept for years.

Don't worry about it. Beer will not spoil. Some styles, such as wheats and IPA's taste better somewhat fresh but will last a long time. Certain styles actually improve with age. Big beers and darker beers do best with more time in the bottles. I have several Belgians in bottles that are over 2 years old.

Just store you beer someplace dark and they will be fine. Put some in the fridge as you need them. They do need a couple of days in the fridge to get the CO2 to absorb into the brew.

I wouldn't think that I would need more than a month. So is it safe to assume that keeping it in our pantry typically for a few weeks before I stick a few in the fridge as I need them is ok?

I wouldn't think that I would need more than a month. So is it safe to assume that keeping it in our pantry typically for a few weeks before I stick a few in the fridge as I need them is ok?

Most beers will keep at least a year with decent storage conditions (under 75F and in a dark place). The cooler the better. Several weeks between brewing and consumption is no problem at all, except, as some posters have said, if you have made a big beer you might actually be drinking it too soon.

Back