How long does the average starter take to show activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
I just made my first starter, yeah i figured it was time to get into that...

I am using yeast from my first attempt at yeast harvesting. I made it a couple hours ago and its showing no signs yet which i figure it will take a few hours. Had a SG of 1.035 if that matters.

What kind of time frame can i expect for signs of activity, is it the same for normal fermentation (up to 24hrs?)?

Thanks.

Depends how long ago you harvested the yeast. It is a lot like regular fermentation. I have had relatively fresh yeast take off in less than a day, while some yeast that had been sitting in my fridge for almost a year took around 48 hours.

K, so i dumped the liquid off the harvested yeast, and then dumped the yeast in my "wort" and shook it up to get it all suspended, but the yeast keeps settling out. Is that a problem or should it be fine with some time? I don't have a stirplate...

sometimes it takes a little while to realize "more food" then they have to wake up their buddies. I just give them a stir every now and then till I see some activity

Every starter you do is going to be different. I have one that I did Yesterday Morning, and within 1 hour it was ripping. Yeast Age, Health of the cells, Temp of your Wort at Pitching time, way to many parameters to give a definitive answer. All I can say is keep at it with the starter and if you have NO activity within 48 hours, you probably have an issue.

Latest posts

Back