How long does sanitizer last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think starsan can be reused if it's kept in a closed container and the ph stays below 3. You will need ph test strips just to be on the safe side.

The only one that I'm sure is reusable after an extended period is Star-San. SS is acid-based, which is why checking the PH is so critical.

I bottled a few days ago and have 3 or 4 gallons already made up in a container..I thought i read some where that it can be reused. I dont want to throw it out if it's still good.

Whenever i finish a beer, i rinse very well with hot water.. So that helps when i'm ready to bottle. I've used one step since i started.. I know i can search, but what do you guys use that's inexpensive?

On this bottling day i used my dishwater. My only problem is the bottles were pretty warm when i was bottling..

I think I got 5# of one-step from Northern Brewer for like $16, at 1tbsp per gallon, it should last me at least 6 months...

orfy said:
Idophor is reusable but time limited.

On a related note how long does Iodophor last (made up to roughly 12.5 ppm)?

I keep it in a spray bottle, it stay brown before I use it up (up to 2 weeks) but am I taking a risk? I usually keep the spray bottle in the kegerator if it makes a difference.

I used to do the same but after I keft a jug open with 12.5 ppm 10% iodine solution (same as ido) and found mould growing in it then I only use stuf mixed on the day.

When I say reusable I mean 2 litres can do multiple vessels, swill drain and reuse throughout the day.

Oxygen based sanitisers release the oxygen and are spent.

Bulls Beers said:
On this bottling day i used my dishwater. My only problem is the bottles were pretty warm when i was bottling..

I load the washer up night before bottling day go to bed whilest they are washing. They are cooled down when time to bottle.

denimglen said:
I keep it in a spray bottle, it stay brown before I use it up (up to 2 weeks) but am I taking a risk? I usually keep the spray bottle in the kegerator if it makes a difference.

Be careful about that, because the iodophor will stain the spray bottle. That stain will last longer than the actual potency of the iodophor, and it can deceive you into thinking the iodophor is more potent (i.e., darker in color) than you think.

Personally, I don't use diluted iodophor that's sat out overnight. I'm probably overly cautious there, but it gives me peace of mind.

TL

I recently moved from using Iodophor to using StarSan as I can keep it much longer. I set aside a corny that I'll fill halfway up with StarSan solution and hook up a picnic tap to the corny to sanitize things as I go. Often times I'll collect the star san and pour it back into the corny and reuse. I've really cut back on the waste of sanitizer by doing this. I'll use a pH meter to check the pH and mix up a new batch when needed.

Latest posts

Back