How long does sanitation last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
Ok, I know there have been pplenty of conversations about how long sanitizer solutions will last, but once you've sanitized something and it is sitting on a clean and sanitized surface, how long would you let it go before sanitizing again prior to use? I'm specifically thinking something like a bottling bucket or empty beer bottles - how long is too long?

It probably depends on the sanitizer used.
With Starsan, as long as it's wet or its foam clings to it, it's still sanitizing. Once dry, bugs can live on it again.

The central idea is to sanitize right before use, to be safe.

So a bottling bucket that was sanitized and sat there for a few hours or days would not be considered sanitary anymore, unless it was covered with a fitting lid for all that time. The rim area could be unsanitary since it was exposed. A sanitized bottle with a sanitized foil cap on it should remain sanitized that way, inside that is.

I always sanitize everything just before use - eg bottling bucket, bottle caps and bottles just before bottling.
After rinsing a bottles I put caps on and keep them covered while bottling - eg get cap off just for a moment f filling the bottle, then put cap back.

Usually it takes less than 1 hour for bottles to be empty after sanitizing.

Thanks for the replies all. I was specifically wondering about how long sanitized bottles were 'good' for. My primary concern is that I sanitize my bottle tree, and sanitize the 40 bottles that it will hold, and end up having bottles sitting on the tree for an extended period of time (perhaps a couple of hours) before I get around to filling them. Sounds like my concerns were warranted and I'll be better off only sanitizing a small set of bottles at a time.

Thanks for the replies all. I was specifically wondering about how long sanitized bottles were 'good' for. My primary concern is that I sanitize my bottle tree, and sanitize the 40 bottles that it will hold, and end up having bottles sitting on the tree for an extended period of time (perhaps a couple of hours) before I get around to filling them. Sounds like my concerns were warranted and I'll be better off only sanitizing a small set of bottles at a time.

In my opinion, a few hours is NOT an extended time and you'll be fine, if worried, simply dunk the bottles in star san again prior to filling, it won't do anything negative to your yeast.

Back