How long does mead keep for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about what oxidation does to beer but in mead I've heard it described as a wet cardboard taste. If your in-law likes it then it's probably fine. Some folks just don't have a taste for certain drinks, my wife is repulsed by my IPAs but I love them. Have you tried a bottle yet ? give it a taste and tell us what you think. If you don't like it just give it to your old lady's pappy.

MeadWitch said:
I have several bottles of 13 year old mead left from my first ever mead. I opened a bottle several years back and it was like drinking liquid gold. So smooth and very tasty. I'll be saving the rest of them for a very special ocassion. I have several cases of 5 to 7 year olds and 5 gals of mead bulk aging for over 2 years now. I need to get those bottled before I start a new batch from a gallon of South American Honey. It is a wildflower honey.

That is awesome. If your first batch of mead from 13 years ago taste that good I can't imagine what you could produce today. Plus, I am very impressed by your patience! Any chance you'd be interested in selling one of those bottles?

Back