How long does Krausen last in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerArdua

Reaction score
Yes that is my question. I'm just curious as to how long it'll stay on my beer. My first 2 brews were done in a plastic bucket rather than a glass carboy so I have not yet actually had the chance to see the krausen form or die down.

It depends on the yeast. I have had two batches I was convinced the krausen would never fall. My Trappist krausen was very elastic and after two weeks it wasn't budging.

So I'm assuming if it's still there after the gravity has settled I can rack without worrying too much about it?

I guess I'm just impatient. It's only been 7 days so far. Thanks guys!

Patience was pretty hard when i started out. Frankly, it still needs improvement. :)

However, when i taste test beer 2 weeks in and forget it for 2 more weeks and its tastes much better and mellow, it starts to make it easier. :D

4-6 weeks from the fermenter to the glass is starting - to me - to seem like a fool proof way of getting good homebrew.

Back