How long does it take these beers to be 'ready'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I know that beers generally take some time to be truly perfect for drinking, how long would ya'll guess it'd take these beers to go from pitching yeast to perfect in the keg?

Scottish Ale (Quaffer)
Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone

A big part of it is ABV. The Scottish, if it's pretty low, could be ready to drink within 6 weeks. The Dead Guy probably will take more time. If I remember correctly, it's a bigger, Belgian style, so I would guess 14+ weeks. But the truest test is that of taste. Keep trying it, you'll know when it's good.

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to decide what will be ready by a party in mid April. So the typical 'wait and see' approach is insufficient in this scenario.

well, you could brew & ferment (2 weeks) + 1 week to cool and carbonate.. so figure 3 weeks from brew to drinkable. It just won't be at its prime.

well, you could brew & ferment (2 weeks) + 1 week to cool and carbonate.. so figure 3 weeks from brew to drinkable. It just won't be at its prime.

But it sounds like the Schilling will be much better in that short of a turnaround than the Dead Guy -- right?

I've made the Dead Guy clone 3 times now, and it doesn't seem to take that long to be ready - about 7 weeks from brewday for me. Still probably too long for your timeline though.

Back