How long does it take for your to drink your homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayvillebrew

Reaction score
I have read a lot of forums about how long kegged homebrew should last for...
My question to you all is: How long does it take for your to finish your 5 gallon corney? I know there are a lot of factors, like people coming over and drinking your beer and having multiple beers on tap.....but for the most part, how long? Mine lasts about 4 weeks (my wife seems to think it should last for months!).

Like you said, lots of factors are in play here.

I had a coffee stout on tap last year (just guessing here) that had to be close to a year old. My Keezer has three taps and holds four kegs. I didn't "need" to move the coffee stout so it wasn't an issue.

Heck I think it got better with age. It was a great beer but not one you would drink all night or on hotter days although it did make a pretty good black and tan.

Unless someone stops over it's pretty much just me on the tap so with more than one keg in the keezer its hard to estimate how long it lasts.

I would say you're doing pretty good if a keg lasts you three weeks. It's just over two cases depending on your final volume.

I'd say anywhere from 2 weeks, with help. Or about 2 months, without help.

I usually don't have more than two kegs going at a time.

Depends what it is. 4% ABV hefeweizen in the summer, with help, 3 weeks. I have a barleywine that's been in the keg for about a year and will probably take a couple more years to finish it off.

2 - 5 gal kegs, & 2 - 2 1/2 gal kegs last about 5 weeks at the RP Pub

3-4 weeks if I only have one keg on tap and I'm drinking at least a couple every night (consumption always goes up on weekends), substantially longer if I have all 3 taps running.

Lately they've been lasting quite a bit longer as I've been trying to cut back on my inbibery.

keg a month which is about 1.75 beers a day. Did do 2 kegs of IPA solo one month... don't judge.

No one's judging. We all drink our fair share, some more than others. I just stepped up to 6 gallon batches from 4 gallon batches, which means a full 5 gallon keg versus 3.5 gallons final volume. With my old system, I guess it'd take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to finish a keg. I'd say probably 3-6 weeks for a full keg. I drink 2 to 3 pints a day (with obvious variations), more on weekends typically, and have a 3 tap kegerator.

My first batch took about 10 weeks for me to finish, but I only shared 1 or 2 bottles with anyone else (because the amyl acetate banana flavor made me uncomfortable giving it to anyone). I have several more batches now, but none of them are gone yet, so I'd imagine they'll also last somewhere around 8-10 weeks, maybe a little shorter since I'm giving some bottles away to people and sharing them with people I know.

I usually only brew once a month, rarely twice. I do 10 gallon batches so I try and make 2 kegs last a month. I have 2 different beers on tap and supplement that with my favorite craft selections.

I brew about 2x/month, 3 or 5 gallon batches. I give some away but am backing off on that. Folks have a habit of not returning bottles or 6-pack holders. So it's lasting me longer in general, probably 8 weeks or more per batch. I'm also intentionally aging some bottles (porter, dubbel, scotch ale). The robust porter and dubbel seem to have really evolved nicely after several months.

Me plus one on a full 5 gal keg in 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just hooked up my 4 tap keezer so I don't a definitive answer, but I'd say they'll probably last about 5 weeks per keg with my wife and I drinking. Plus what I give away, which seems to be more lately.

One lasts around 4 weeks for me. As mentioned above, with family or friends involved more like 2 weeks or less.

Kegs: If it's just me, a good month. I also drink numerous commercial beers during that time. I don't stick strictly to the keg. The record quick keg was 12 hours. I had a few friends over on a saturday evening then on sunday morning another friend came over and we kicked that keg.

Bottles, I put those away and break them out on occasion. They can last a year or more.

5 gal typically lasts me 4-6 weeks. I only drink on fri and sat though (Sundays now due to football)

Depends on what beer for me. I hate it right now because my peach/cherry Hefeweizen isn't bad enough to dump but not good enough that I plow right through it.

It really depends on style of beer and how good or great the beer is. I had a light brown ale last a month and a half. But my 2 five gal kegs of my cascade pale ale lasted a week and a half with some help of course, I need to brew that one again. The light brown was a great beer but summer temps do dictate ones thirstiness.

4 to 5 months here..lol. I usually have wine during the week, considering I grow grapes and have about 500 bottles aging right now.

3-5weeks per keg. With a pipeline brewing a 5gal batch a week.

Depends in the gravity mostly. Usual gravity 2-4weeks per keg. I have a 3tap kegerator. The higher gravity stuff I still have a gallon or so of a strong spiced ale 9.1%ABV that's been on tap for a year now.

Sent from somewhere to someone

My wife sadly doesn't drink beer so a keg lasts me 3-4 weeks if it's just me drinking it. I got my buddy into AG brewing last month and we share our brews with our band and friends who swing by our jam space. With 4-8 people drinking out of the kegs we go through about 1 a week. Right now we're working on our own recipes and getting to know our equipment so we encourage everyone who stops by to drink as much as they want. I can't believe how cheap it is to brew when you buy your grain and hops in bulk otherwise we couldn't afford to give away all that brew lol.

Depends what it is. 4% ABV hefeweizen in the summer, with help, 3 weeks. I have a barleywine that's been in the keg for about a year and will probably take a couple more years to finish it off.

For something like a barleywine I think I'd just bottle it. I have 5 taps, but usually only 3 have beer and the other 2 are for water/soda. I'm the only beer drinker in the house and I drink probably 2 pints/day on average. A keg will last me what seems forever since I rotate between the taps. I do a little dance when a keg finally kicks and I can move whatever I have in secondary into a keg allowing me to brew again. I brew about once a month to every six weeks so I guess that's about how long it takes me to drink a keg. Although i'm about to bottle the 3 gallons or so of what's left of my Saison to make room for the Caribou Slobber.

2 to 4 weeks here, but there's 2 people drinking it.

although I did make a brown ale that was so good, it lasted 2 days, i'm never having guests over for a brew weekend again...bastards drink all my beer.

I made a Belgian Triple for Christmas lighting 2 years ago for when my son came home for Christmas. Lasted about 2 nights between people stopping by to sit by the fire and watch lights set to music and my oldest and his friends.

totally depends for me, I only have 2 kegs so i try and finish them or fill some growlers and keep them chilled so I can get more variety in the keezer. Sometimes i'll do 18L in about 2-3 weeks depending on abv and deliciousness and business of life. I will also share a few bottles with friends too.

Back