How long does crushed grain stay good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
I'm about start my first AG recipe and I need chocolate malt. I made some beer about 6 months ago and I have about 1/2 a pound of crushed chocolate malt in my freezer. Do you think its still good or should I rebuy it? Thanks.

I would say it strongly depends on what else is in your freezer.

Personally, I'd go to the brewshop and crush some more, but it's only 10 minutes from here.

I have done some research on this site and I would say based upon the various comments that you are probably close to the line of using and not using. If it was me and the fact that I only need 1/2 a pound for my recipe I would use it. But this is my opinion from reading several post on this site.

Crushed grain in the freezer....I would buy some fresh. All the hard work and waiting for your brew, it is worth it to use fresh crushed grains.

bradsul said:
Take out a couple grains and let them warm up to room temperature and give them a munch. If they taste at all stale, replace them. Otherwise brew away! :mug:

Absolutely +1. Taste is the gold standard. If it tastes fine, it's good to use. If it tastes bad, trash it.

TL

you can bring some freshness back into them by roasting them a few minutes in the oven on a sheet pan. It dries out some of the moisture that may have accumulated.

Back